FIRS Advert
News

Ex-Minister Sadiya Reportedly Hospitalised in Egypt, Absent from Court Amid EFCC Trial

‎Former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, was absent in court on Monday as her legal team informed the Federal Capital Territory High Court that she is currently receiving medical treatment in Egypt.


‎Farouq is standing trial alongside a former Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Bashir Nura Alkali, and another defendant, Sani Mohammed, over an alleged multi-million naira fraud case filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.


‎The anti-graft agency accused the former minister and her co-defendants of criminal breach of trust, abuse of office and the alleged diversion of public funds running into about $1.3 million and over N746 million.


‎The matter came up for arraignment before Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie of the FCT High Court in Apo, Abuja.


‎During proceedings, counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), informed the court that the former minister failed to appear despite an existing bench warrant issued against her in April.


‎Jacobs told the court that the second defendant had already honoured the court’s order by surrendering himself to the commission after the arrest warrant was issued. He then urged the court to sustain the warrant against Farouq.


‎According to the prosecution, Farouq’s lawyer had earlier assured the court that she would be produced within one month.


‎When asked by the judge to explain his client’s absence, counsel to the former minister, Oladipo Okpesheyi, said he received information late Sunday night that she was ill and undergoing treatment in Egypt.


‎He said a medical report sent to him indicated that she had been placed on hospital care and advised against travelling.


‎The lawyer further appealed for an adjournment, adding that the former minister may require about two months to recover before she can appear in court.


‎Justice Onwuegbuzie, however, expressed dissatisfaction over the delay in the matter. The judge warned that the court could take further action if the former minister fails to appear at the next sitting.


‎The court subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq would remain in force and adjourned the case till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.


‎The EFCC had earlier declared the former minister wanted over allegations linked to abuse of office and diversion of public funds during her time in office.


 

 


Receive Alerts On:
Facebook: METRODAILYNG Twitter: @METRODAILYNG

REACH THE RIGHT PEOPLE AT THE RIGHT TIME WITH METRO DAILY NIGERIA. ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS TO USERS ONLINE TODAY. KINDLY CONTACT US FOR YOUR ADVERTS OR PUBLICATIONS AT INFO@METRODAILYNG.COM

Related Posts

Leave a Comment