Connect with us

Gossip

India tops ranking for selfie deaths

Published

on

Next time you’re at the Taj Mahal, find yourself standing on a precarious cliff or see an approaching train, maybe just enjoy the moment rather than trying to capture the perfect selfie.
These are just three of the ways that 76 selfie-takers in India have lost their lives, according to a study published by US-based Carnegie Mellon University and Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi.
In the quest for the coolest selfie, more people have died in India in the past two years than the total number of selfie-related deaths in the rest of the world, according to the study titled “Me, Myself and My Killfie: Characterizing and Preventing Selfie Deaths”.
Using special search techniques to trawl the internet and social media, the researchers identified 127 confirmed selfie deaths since March 2014.
They blamed people’s desire for more “likes” and comments on social media for driving increasingly risky selfie-taking.
“(The) clicking dangerous selfies (has proved) to be so disastrous that during the year 2015 alone, there have been more deaths caused due to selfies than shark attacks all over the world,” the researchers said in a blog post.
Three students in northern India died trying to take a daring selfie in front of an oncoming train, according to the study published last week.
Another student lost his life when the cliff he was standing on for a photo cracked, sending him plunging 18 metres (60 feet) into a ravine.
A selfie-taking Japanese tourist died after he slipped down the stairs at the Taj Mahal while seven people posing for a group selfie died when the boat they were in capsized.
Pakistan took second place in the global killer-selfie rankings with nine deaths, followed by the United States with eight and Russia on six.
India’s population of 1.25 billion is nearly four times the size of the US’s and over six times the size of Pakistan, but that fails to account for the huge discrepancy between the number of fatalities.
According to the study, China with its population of 1.37 billion only had four selfie-related deaths.
The group behind the study hopes their work will raise awareness of the killer trend — and maybe encourage people to just appreciate the view. (AFP)

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Gossip

Three injured as rival lovers fight over 16-year-old salesgirl in Delta

Published

on

Chaos

Chaos

The struggle over who wins the heart of a 16-year-old salesgirl, identified as Juliana Itoro in Asaba, Delta State, on Wednesday led to a free-for-all fight among rival lovers.

The fight, which started between two rival lovers, saw three mediators (men) seriously injured and taken to the Federal Medical Center (FMC) Asaba, where they are currently receiving treatment, while the two rival lovers were arrested and whisked away by the police from”A” division, Asaba.

Eyewitness, Azuka Eze said the fight broke out in early hours in Asaba when the two rival lovers coincidentally ran into each other to catch a glimpse of a promo show organised by a group of marketers for their products.

Police officers at the A division police station, who spoke to journalists on condition of anonymity, said the two rival lovers allegedly caused a scene after few minutes of verbal cross fire, adding that they fought with dangerous weapons leading to the mediators sustaining injuries in an attempt to separate them from the fight.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Andrew Aniamaka, who confirmed that the two rival lovers were later arrested for disturbing the public peace, told newsmen that they were being detained at the A division police station for further investigation.

While assuring that the police will do everything possible to protect lives and properties in the state during the yuletide, DSP Andrew Aniamaka disclosed that the police command has introduced stop and search in strategic and flash points across the state, adding that it will no longer be business as usual for hoodlums, armed robbers including ritualists, fraudsters.

He said, “The police are working hard to ensure the safety of lives and properties in the state, the police have introduced stop and search method with a view to arresting hoodlums, fraudsters and ritualists who have been operating across the state, the police men will operate without uniforms and are positioned in flash point areas”.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Gossip

Man drowns at friend’s birthday party in Aba

Published

on

A 20-year-old man, simply identified as Chidiebere David, drowned on Thursday night in the swimming pool of a new but popular hotel on Margret Avenue, GRA, Aba in Abia, during a friend’s birthday party.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Abia, Mr Geoffrey Ogbonna, confirmed the incident on Friday.

“The man is about 20 years old. His name is Chidiebere David. He accompanied his friends to a birthday party in the hotel and got drowned there. That was exactly what happened,’’ he said.

Ogbonna however did not say if the police was foreclosing further investigations into the matter.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the deceased went with his friends who were over 16 in number to the hotel to celebrate the birthday of one of them.

Chidiebere who hailed from Imo died at the pool with no one realising that he had drowned until sometimes later.

NAN further gathered that when the deceased colleagues saw his body inside the pool and made frantic efforts to save him, they discovered that he had died.

The relatives of the young man were said to have later arrived at the scene, taken his body and deposited at a morgue close to the hotel.

An anonymous source within the hotel told NAN that the friends of the deceased were arrested and taken into custody same night by policemen from Aba Area Command.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Gossip

How bricklayer raped me, stole my money – Sex worker tells court

Published

on

rape crime

rape crime

Ikeja Sexual Offence and Domestic Violence Court in Lagos, on Wednesday, sentenced a bricklayer, Edet Imoh, 40, to five years in prison for allegedly raping a commercial sex worker.

The prosecution led by Mrs B.T Boye explaining to the court during the trial that the convict committed the offence on March 11, 2017, at 1.30a.m. at Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.

According to Boye, “The convict met the complainant at Farm City Lekki Phase 1, while he was having his lunch. We exchanged pleasantries and we agreed to have sex afterwards.

Umokoro told me to pay her N50,000 for having sexual intercourse with her but l begged her to collect N40,000 to which she agreed.

” We later took a cab to Awolowo Road at Ikoyi to use my friend’s house but unfortunately he wasn’t around.

“I told Umukoro to go back but she refused and said l must pay her for bringing her out so we had sex somewhere around.

“We laid a wrapper on the floor and had sex after which she demanded the N40,000 but l told her l had only N9,000 but she refused to collect it from me.

“She refused to collect the N9,000 and tried to hold my shirt but l ran away.

Umukoro, a commercial sex worker in her testimony, however, denied the allegations.

She said: “The defendant took me to an agreed place but on getting there, the gateman refused to open the gate saying that the madam of the house was around.

“I told the defendant to call the cabman that brought us to come back and pick us but he refused. Suddenly, the defendant attacked me from behind, tried to strangle me by pressing my neck till l fainted.

“He then raped me and stole my blackberry passport phone and Nokia phone all valued at N131,000.

“On April 6, 2017, l got hold of the defendant at Farm City Lekki Phase 1 and reported him to the police at Maroko Police Station,” Umokoro said.

The convict charged with two counts of rape and theft, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge

According to the prosecution, the offence contravened the provisions of Section 361 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015

Justice Sybil Nwaka, in ruling, sentenced Edet Imoh to five years in prison for allegedly raping the commercial sex worker.

Nwaka, who did not give the convict an option of fine, said the sentence will serve as a deterrent to others.

”I find the defendant guilty of the offence of indecent assault, he is sentenced to five years imprisonment which will commence from the date of sentencing.

” l hope by the time you come out, you would have learnt your lessons to stay away from such act and live happily with your family,” she said.

Nwaka also admonished the complainant, Ejiro Umukoro, 25, to desist from prostitution as it is illegal and that the Lagos State Government was on the move to sanitise the state against such act.

“I, however, chastise the complainant and urge her to be of good behaviour.

“The state is using this opportunity to warn other intending offenders, those in the commercial sex trade and other perpetrators of sex offenders to desist and have a rethink.

“Control yourselves from such offence because Lagos State frowns seriously at such act,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest News

News2 hours ago

Catholic Knights calls for support in Christian faith

By Jessica Dogo The Knights of the Order of Saint John International Catholic Church, Kubwa, has urged catholic knights in...

Emmanuel Ogbeche Emmanuel Ogbeche
News6 hours ago

NUJ FCT: U.S embassy tasks Ogbeche on cooperation

The United States Embassy in Nigeria has tasked the newly elected chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, FCT Council,...

Politics7 hours ago

We will vote for presidential candidate that can guarantee LG autonomy- Councillors Forum

The All Former Councillors Forum of Nigeria, says it will only support a presidential candidate that will grant full administrative...

News8 hours ago

Ndigbo Muslims unite, align with Igbo agenda

Ndigbo Muslims of Nigeria have agreed to speak in one voice through the South East Muslims Organization of Nigeria (SEMON)...

Kogi State Deputy Governor, Elder Simon Achuba Kogi State Deputy Governor, Elder Simon Achuba
News8 hours ago

Kogi deputy Governor urges Christians to participate in process of choosing their leaders (PRESS RELEASE)

Kogi State Deputy Governor, Elder Simon Achuba has urged Christians across the country to always participate in the process of...

Governor Nasir El-Rufai Governor Nasir El-Rufai
Cover8 hours ago

Kaduna killings: I will get you, El- Rufai tells Pastor Paul Enenche

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has threatened to ‘get’ Dr. Paul Enenche, the Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel...

Politics9 hours ago

Ondo: APC group accuses Akeredolu’s aides of destroying Buhari’s bill boards

A support group of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo state on the aegis of Solidarity Group, has...

Health9 hours ago

FCTA develops N162b strategic health plan, records high achievements in health Services

By Jessica Dogo The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has developed a 4-year Strategic Health Development Plan (SHDP) that will...

Late Sunday Ajayi Late Sunday Ajayi
News15 hours ago

FRSC Anambra Sector Commander dies in motor accident

Mr Sunday Ajayi, the Federal Road Safety Commission, Anambra Sector Commander was today involved in car accident at Asaba which...

President Buhari President Buhari
Opinion16 hours ago

Nigeria’s Economy And Just Before We Crucify Buhari

By Philip Agbese Nigeria is indeed a dynamic country where we have found the habit of looking at things mainly...

Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General TY Buratai Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General TY Buratai
Opinion16 hours ago

That Deserved Doctorate To Buratai

By David Onmeje Initially, It seemed very foggy to me. I was one of the few critics who interrogated why...

Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, FCT command, Mr. Patrick Ukpan, presenting a copy of the Establishment Act of the Corps to the FCT NUJ Chairman, Emmanuel Ogbeche, during a courtesy call by the executive of the council in Abuja recently Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, FCT command, Mr. Patrick Ukpan, presenting a copy of the Establishment Act of the Corps to the FCT NUJ Chairman, Emmanuel Ogbeche, during a courtesy call by the executive of the council in Abuja recently
News16 hours ago

Civil Defense To Partner NUJ FCT On Fake Journalists

The Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, FCT command, Mr. Patrick Ukpan, has expressed his readiness...

President Muhammadu Buhari and Babangida President Muhammadu Buhari and Babangida
Cover1 day ago

Babangida pours encomiums on Buhari

Former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, on Sunday heaped praises on President Muhammadu Buhari, acknowledging that the man he toppled...

Sport1 day ago

Barcelona takes final decision on Suarez to Arsenal

La Liga champions, Barcelona have finally decided to offer midfielder, Denis Suarez to join Premier League club, Arsenal when the...

News1 day ago

Ugwuanyi, Ekweremadu hailed for political peace, good governance in Enugu

The Governor of Enugu State, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, have...

Follow Us On Twitter

Metro Daily Nigeria
@MetroDailyNG

  • Catholic Knights calls for support in Christian faith https://t.co/uzLjacBgM8 https://t.co/gkXaQptFRZ
    about 2 hours ago
  • New post: Catholic Knights calls for support in Christian faith https://t.co/BGLpjw1r8B
    about 2 hours ago
  • NUJ FCT: U.S embassy tasks Ogbeche on cooperation https://t.co/fOfaogq6rX https://t.co/zoCXdgAnW6
    about 6 hours ago

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: