*Human Rights Lawyer Petitions INEC boss
Ahead of the forth coming Presidential and National Assembly elections, a human Rights Lawyer, Barrister Leo Ekpenyong, has petitioned the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahood Yakubu, over alleged planned rigging in favour of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in Akwa Ibom State by Governor Udom Emmanuel and the Resident Electoral Commissioner, (REC), Mike Igini.
Ekpenyong who made this known in a petition to Prof Yakubu, noted that Igini has threatened fire and brimstone against perceived “Disloyal” staff of the commission who will work against the interest of the Niger-Delta where he hails from.
He however called on the Chairman to call Igini to order as his actions and disposition is uncharacteristic of an unbiased electoral umpire, in line with global best practices.
Although, Igini could not be reached at the time filing this report.
The petition reads below:
Professor Mahood Yakubu,
Independent National Electoral Commission,
Plot 436, Zambezi Crescent,
PETITION AGAINST MR. MIKE IGINI, AKWA IBOM STATE INEC RESIDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSIONER FOR BIAS, PARTISANSHIP AND INTIMIDATION OF INEC STAFF
sequel to legal instructions from our client, who has pleased anonymity for security concerns arising substantially from threats and intimidation by Akwa Ibom State Resident Electoral Commissioner, (REC), Mike Igini to perceived “Disloyal” staff of the commission we make bold to state as follows:
1. That Following established cases of nocturnal and clandestine meetings between Mr. Mike Igini and agents of Akwa Ibom State government, including the incumbent, Governor Udom Emmanuel, it is no longer news that the leadership of INEC in Akwa Ibom State has concluded arrangements to rig the forthcoming elections in favour of the PDP.
2. That our client, who is your personnel, precisely in the ICT department has confided in us the frightening instructions dished out to a select few, who have been viewed as “upright” and willing to bend the rules by pandering to the whims and caprices of Igini, who is ostensibly alleged to be working for he success of the PDP in Akwa Ibom State.
3. That with Particular reference to a recent encounter between Igini and some staff/personnel of the ICT department, he (Igini) threatened “fire and brimstone” against any personnel who worked against the interest of the Niger-Delta where he hails from in favour of a northern.
4. That this brazen show of intimidation of staff to cow them towards serving Igini’s personal interest is not only antithetical to the image of the Commission, but a fundamental derogation from the tenets of free, fair and credible polls.
5. That the actions and disposition of Mike Igini is uncharacteristic of an unbiased electoral umpire, in line with global best practices.
6. That these allegations be vigorously investigated to forestall undue victimization and intimidation of staff who have resolved t remain neutral in the face of burgeoning tyranny and official dictatorship.
7. That taking appropriate disciplinary measures, will go a long way in giving credibility to the forthcoming elections, considering the fact that Nigeria is the cynosure in the eyes of the international community.
From the foregoing, we therefore urge you, Mr. Chairman to act timeously to dispel the gathering to dispel the gathering “storm” in Akwa Ibom State headquarters of INEC.
We will be available to substantiate our claims, without betraying the confidence of our client, your bonafide staff, who volunteered this information under “privileged communication”.
“To be forewarned, they say, is to be forearmed”
accept the assurance of our best regards.
Leo Ekpenyong (Esq)
Receive Alerts On:
Facebook: MetroDailyNG, Twitter: @MetroDailyNG
Share Your Stories With Us: