Connect with us

Foreign

Video confession of 23-year-old serial bomber found

Published

on

Mark Conditt, Texas serial bomber.

Mark Conditt, Texas serial bomber.


The 23-year-old Mark Conditt, serial bomber whose deadly attacks terrorized Austin, Texas, for weeks left a 25-minute video “confession” on a cell phone.

The phone was found after he blew himself up on Wednesday as officers closed in to make an arrest, police said

Conditt, an unemployed man from the suburb of Pflugerville, detailed how he made all seven bombs that have been accounted for – five that exploded.

One of the bombs was recovered before it went off and a seventh he detonated as officers rushed his vehicle early on Wednesday.

But the video failed to reveal a coherent motive for the attacks spread over the past three weeks, police said.

“He does not at all mention anything about terrorism, nor does he mention anything about hate, but instead it is the outcry of a very challenged young man, talking about challenges in his personal life,” Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters.

“I would classify this as a confession,” Manley said.

Conditt, who had never before been in trouble with the law, killed two people and wounded five with a campaign of violence that began on March 2, authorities said.

Based on their search of the suspect’s home and his video statement, authorities said they felt confident that there were no other bombs and that the public was safe from further harm.

FBI special agent Christopher Combs said investigators believe the suspect would have continued his attacks had he not been apprehended.

Police recovered a “target list” of addresses for future bombings, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing U.S. Representative Michael McCaul of Texas, the Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.
Even so, the video gave no explanation for the individuals and addresses singled out as recipients of the bombs that were planted or shipped, Manley said.

Police previously said they had considered the possibility that the attacks were racially motivated, noting that the first several victims, including the two who died, were either African-American or Hispanic.

Conditt likely recorded the video between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Tuesday.

According to Manley, Conditt said he believed police “were getting very close to him,” and he was right. Authorities filed a criminal complaint and issued an arrest warrant around that time.

Read more: Reuters

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Foreign

UN wants Africa to prepare for effect of climate change

Published

on

UN wants Africa to prepare for effect of climate Change

UN wants Africa to prepare for effect of climate Change


The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has called on international community to evolve measures to prepare the African continent for the ravages of climate change.

Ms Ahunna Eziakonwa, Director of UNDP’s Africa Bureau, who made the call at the 24th Conference of Parties (COP24) climate conference, in Katowice, Poland, said preparing Africa for the reality of climate change “cannot be an afterthought.”

Eziakonwa said: “Taking reactive approaches to food security and disaster recovery costs the people of Africa billions of dollars in lost GDP, and syphons off government resources that should be dedicated to education, social programmes, healthcare, business development and employment”.

According to a new report launched by the UNDP, Africa is at a “tipping point” as global warming increases, and urgent action needs to be taken across the continent now to mitigate risks and safeguard a decade of social and economic gains.

For two weeks, the COP24 has brought together thousands of climate action decision-makers, advocates and activists, with one key objective: adopting global guidelines for the 197 parties of the 2015 Paris Agreement.

At the Paris Agreement, countries committed to limiting global warming to less than 2 degrees centigrade – and as close as possible to 1.5 degrees centigrade – above pre-industrial levels.

Ahunna noted that in spite of major structural inequalities, nations across the continent have achieved “impressive economic, political and social growth in recent decades.”

She, however, argued that “climate change, droughts, floods, changing rainfall patterns and conflict have the potential to unravel efforts to reduce hunger and achieve the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.”

The UNDP study shows that, should the world fail to limit global warming to less than 2 degrees centigrade, families will find it hard to feed themselves, and the risk of famine and increased poverty will rise along with temperatures.

Higher levels of poverty would further limit the capacity of communities to manage climate-related risks, according to the report.

The report warned that failure to mitigate climate-related risks could translate into more risky migration patterns, serious epidemics such as the 2014 Ebola outbreak across West Africa, and greater political instability.

Drawing on years of data from projects geared to enabling communities to adapt to a changing climate and build resilience, the report shows that as emissions continue going up, support for climate adaptation initiatives must be increased urgently and accelerated across the continent, especially across the 34 African least developed countries.

However, measures to enable communities to adapt to the changing climate is a costly matter that would require creative financial mechanisms and substantial engagement with the private sector to meet.

It would also require developed nations to make good on their 2015 Paris Agreement commitments to dedicate $100 billion annually to supporting climate action in developing nations.

The report analyses a number of noteworthy successes in climate change adaptation in Africa over the past decade, including projects aimed at improving food security in Benin, Mali, Niger and Sudan.

It also analysed supporting governments in having improved climate information and early warning systems to save lives from fast-acting storms; and empowering women to be effective climate action champions.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Foreign

Ukraine demands release of seized ships, crew from Russia

Published

on

Ukrainian Ambassador to Nigeria Dr Valerii Aleksandruk

Ukrainian Ambassador to Nigeria Dr Valerii Aleksandruk

The Ukrainian authority has protested Russian’s armed attack and capturing of its navy ships “Berdyansk” Nikopol and the tug boat `Yana Kapu’ as well as injuring of the crew members.

Ukrainian Ambassador to Nigeria Dr Valerii Aleksandruk who said this in a statement in Abuja said the country demanded for immediate release of the seized vessels and crew members.

Aleksandruk said Russian forces opened fire on a group of Ukraine ships in the Black Sea off the coast of the Crimean Peninsula late on Nov. 25th.

The envoy said the country also protested striking of two warships and wounding of two crew members before seizing the vessels along with a Ukrainian Navy tugboat.

He said that the attack on Ukrainian ships was carried out during a sea crossing from the port of Odessa to the port of Mariupol.

“The attack, in accordance with the provisions of all effective multilateral and bilateral international treaties and navigation rules, is nothing but another act of armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine

“It is against Article 2 of the Charter of the United Nations and the provisions of UN General Assembly Resolution 29/3314 of 14 December 1974 on the definition of aggression.

“Russia has de facto expanded its military aggression against Ukraine to the sea.

“Kremlin’s criminal regime has today once again demonstrated that it won’t stop its aggressive policy and is ready for any acts of aggression against the Ukrainian state,” he said.

According to him, Ukraine also requested for urgent medical assistance to the wounded and to ensure their immediate safe return home.

“Ukraine also demands to return the captured navy ships and to compensate for the damage caused.

“It is Kremlin’s regime who bears full responsibility for further aggravation of the situation in the Azov and Black Seas and for undermining the peaceful settlement of the Russian-Ukrainian armed conflict.

“Ukraine urges its allies and partners to take all necessary measures to deter the aggressor, by applying new and strengthening existing sanctions

“Ukraine also urges its allies to provide military assistance to protect its territorial integrity and sovereignty within the internationally recognised borders,” he said

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Foreign

CNN sues White House for barring reporter

Published

on


CNN sued Donald Trump’s administration on Tuesday, alleging the White House violated journalist Jim Acosta’s rights under the constitution by revoking his press credentials following a heated exchange with the US president.

“The wrongful revocation of these credentials violates CNN and Acosta’s First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process,” the news network said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. “We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Ad

Latest News

Kola Ologbondiyan Director, Media & Publicity PDP Presidential Campaign Organization Kola Ologbondiyan Director, Media & Publicity PDP Presidential Campaign Organization
Cover23 mins ago

PDP reject APC’s mulling of interim government

…Insists Atiku Will Win Presidential Poll The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) rejects in its entirety the idea of an Interim...

Cover2 hours ago

Saraki, Jonathan, Obasanjo, others attend council of state meeting

The National Council of State meeting is underway in Abuja with President Muhammadu Buhari is presiding. It is the third...

News3 hours ago

Yoruba youths apologise to Nigerians over Obasanjo’s recent outbursts, caution ex-president

As reactions continue to trail the recent statement by former President Olusegun Obasanjo on the state of the nation, the...

Business7 hours ago

Global Trade Firm Says Removal of Trade Barriers, Panacea to Africa’s Economic Gloom

By Eric Ojo, Abuja DP World, a leading enabler of global trade and an integral part of the supply chain...

Entertainment7 hours ago

Usuman Dam Picnic

Explore your coming weekend with WATER ADVENTURES. Usuma Dam Picnic is for everyone but dedicated to all January Celebrants and...

Sport8 hours ago

NFF charges Lobi Stars, Rangers to do more on the continent

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), has praised Nigeria’s two representatives in this season’s African club continental competitions, Lobi Stars of...

Alhaji Aliko Dangote Alhaji Aliko Dangote
Business8 hours ago

Dangote targets foreign markets in sales push

Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, said on Monday he expected to step up exports of cement and other commodities from...

Cover8 hours ago

Red alert as opposition plans to scuttle elections – Lai Mohammed

The Federal Government has alerted Nigerians the plans by some unscrupulous opposition elements to scuttle the 2019 general elections by...

Peter Obi Peter Obi
Opinion8 hours ago

War with The Church, As Obi Insulted Catholic Bishops

…Says they Lack Political Relevance The recent media war between the former governor of Anambra state, Mr Peter Obi and...

Sport9 hours ago

NFF expresses shock, mourns Ayodeji Alabi

The Nigeria Football Federation at the weekend said it was still in rude shock over the death of the Chairman...

Cover9 hours ago

Boko Haram, ISWA Planning To Disrupt Nigeria’s 2019 Polls

The Islamic insurgents, Boko Haram and iswa are planning to ensure the Nigeria 2019 general elections do not hold as...

Business9 hours ago

Zenith Bank board approves 2018 audited result

Zenith Bank International Plc on Monday notified the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) of the approval of its financial results for...

Sport9 hours ago

PCN elects new exco board

The Paralympic Committee Nigeria (PCN) has elected new set of officials for the Executive Board committee of the body. The...

Gov. Samuel Ortom of Benue state Gov. Samuel Ortom of Benue state
Politics9 hours ago

I regret voting for Buhari in 2015, says Gov Ortom

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has appealed to the Christian community in the state to forgive him for working for...

Business9 hours ago

IMF cuts global economic growth outlook to 3.5%

The International Monetary Fund on Monday cut its world economic growth forecasts for 2019 and 2020, due to weakness in...

Follow Us On Twitter

Metro Daily Nigeria
@MetroDailyNG

  • PDP reject APC’s mulling of interim government https://t.co/tRy4AJ4IK2 https://t.co/ae6vBNXtcW
    about 17 mins ago
  • New post: PDP reject APC’s mulling of interim government https://t.co/xIUiBEcUhK
    about 23 mins ago
  • Saraki, Jonathan, Obasanjo, others attend council of state meeting https://t.co/x9iHfFuOyw https://t.co/ob3ObLQvxQ
    about 2 hours ago

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending

You're currently offline

var infolinks_pid = 3151764; var infolinks_wsid = 0;
%d bloggers like this: