Connect with us

Cover

JOHESU threatens to begin nationwide strike on Tuesday

Published

on

Mr Josiah Biobelemoye

Mr Josiah Biobelemoye

The President of the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU), Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, said on Monday that the the union would commence an indefinite nationwide strike by midnight on Tuesday.

Biobelemoye said this when he led the union executive on a courtesy visit to the Chief Medical Director of the National Hospital, Abuja, Dr. Jafaru Momoh, in his office.

He alleged that the union members had been treated as slaves by the Minster of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole.

He said that the minister failed to implement the agreement reached by the union with the Federal Government on Sept. 30, 2017 for upward adjustment of CONHESS.

He said that the implementation of the agreement was supposed to begin five weeks after it was signed “as was done for medical doctors.”

He said that JOHESU accounted for 95 per cent of health sector workers in the country but regretted that the union’s demands were always taken for granted.

“We are committed to ensuring peace in the sector hence for the past three years we resisted strike but we should not be forced to withdraw the peace.

“Help us to tell government. All we are saying is equity, justice and peace.

“We love Nigerians and government should help us love Nigerians the more by doing the needful,” Biobelemoye said.

The Chairman, Board of National Hospital, Abuja, Ms Patricia Etteh, appelaed to union officials to shelve its proposed strike in the interest of the people.

Etteh urged the union to consider the plight of the masses, who always suffered more during such actions in the health sector.

“In the event of strike in health sector, the poor always bear the burden as they cannot afford access to healthcare in private hospitals in Nigeria and abroad.

“But the rich will not mind as a lot of them travel abroad to receive the desired healthcare services.

“There so many ways you can embark on strike without shutting down hospitals because the masses will suffer,” she said.

Etteh decried the poor attention by government to the nation’s health sector and welfare of health workers in the country.

She called for greater attention to the sector and health workers, saying that they deserved prompt and priority attention by government.

She said, “Health sector is one particular area that should receive prompt and adequate response because when the people are healthy, it will reflect on the nation’s economy.

“If healthcare providers are not properly taken care of, they will not be able to give the desired medical attention and care to patients.”

Etteh, who was the former Speaker of House of Representatives, urged the government to look into the requisite entry qualification of health workers in the country.

She said that the measure would help to ensure a more efficient healthcare delivery for patients.

She assured the union that she would channel their grievances to the appropriate authorities.

“I plead with you to give me sometime to dialogue with the concerned ministry with regard to your demand for upward adjustment of CONHESS and other issues.

“I believe before the close of work tomorrow (Tuesday), through the concerted efforts of all and sundry, something positive will come out from my dialogue with the Minister of Health and others.”

Also speaking, the CMD, pleaded with the union not to withdraw emergency services in hospitals in the event of any strike.

He assured the union members that their issues would be resolved in the shortest possible time “through divine interventions”.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Cover

Buhari behaving like Abacha, planning to rig elections – Obasanjo

Published

on

Obasanjo

Obasanjo


Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday attacked President Muhammadu Buhari, accusing him of plotting to rig the general elections.

Mr Buhari is seeking re-election on the platform of his party, APC. The presidential and National Assembly elections will hold on February 16.

In an open letter titled “Point for Concern and Action” which he distributed to journalists at a press conference held at his house at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, Mr Obasanjo also alleged that the president was acting like a former military dictator, Sani Abacha.

“Buhari has succeeded in deceiving us the first time and we will be fools to allow ourselves to be deceived the second time,” Mr Obasanjo wrote.

“Buba Galadima, who knows Buhari very well as a confidant and National Secretary of Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, the Buhari’s party before it joined in forming All Progressives Congress, APC has warned us this time around that no matter what he promises, he cannot change his character and attitude.”

Mr Obasanjo was one of the millions of Nigerians who supported Mr Buhari in the 2015 presidential election. He has since withdrawn his support for the president, accusing him of incompetence and nepotism.

In his letter, the former president said Mr Galadima “describes him (Mr Buhari) as inflexible, insincere, dubious, intolerant, never accepts responsibility when things go wrong and impervious to reason and advice for change. If you cannot change your mind, you cannot change anything is the assertion of George Bernard Shaw.”

Mr Obasanjo then claimed that what is happening in Nigeria under Mr Buhari can be likened to what Nigerians witnessed under a late military dictator, Sani Abacha.

Mr Abacha, who ruled Nigeria between 1993 and 1998, died in office while trying to perpetuate himself in office.

“He went for broke and surrounded himself with hatchet men who on his order and in his interest and at high costs to Nigeria and Nigerians, maimed, tortured and killed for Abacha. Buhari has started on the same note on the same path in mad desperation,” Mr Obasanjo claimed.

He then alleged that the president and his party are recruiting collation officers who are already awarding election results.

“It is the sole reason he has blatantly refused to sign the revised electoral bill into law. His henchmen are working round the clock in cahoots with security and election officials to perfect their plan by computing results right from the ward to local government, state and national levels to allot him what will look like a landslide victory irrespective of the true situation for a candidate who might have carried out by proxy presidential debate and campaigns.”

He said the current plan is to drape the pre-determined results with a toga of credibility and also use violence of unimaginable proportion which will be unleashed in high voting population areas across the country to precipitate re-run elections.

“We are monitoring them and we call on all democrats across the world to keep an eye on the unfolding anti-democratic agenda of President Muhammed Buhari. This is the time for preventive measures to be taken otherwise Nigeria may be presented with a fait accompli with impunity and total disregard of all pleas.”

Mr Obasanjo’s letter comes despite repeated promises by President Buhari to ensure free and fair elections.

The presidency is yet to react to Mr Obasanjo’s latest outburst.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Cover

Why PMB did not attend the Presidential debate – FESTUS KEYAMO

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari


WHY PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI DID NOT ATTEND THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ORGANISED BY THE NIGERIA ELECTION DEBATE GROUP AND THE BROADCASTING ORGANISATIONS OF NIGERIA

The President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, who is also the APC Presidential Candidate in the forthcoming Presidential Election, President Muhammadu Buhari, could not attend the Presidential Debate organised by the Nigeria Election Debate Group and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria which held today, Saturday, January 19, 2019 for the following reasons:

Firstly, out of several opportunities afforded our candidate to interact with the Nigerian people directly by different organisations, our presidential candidate has taken full advantage of another town-hall meeting organized by another group which held on Wednesday, January 16, 2019. He was also joined at that town-hall meeting by our Vice-Presidential candidate who is also the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN. Nigerians from all walks of life who were physically present and through on-line platforms asked uncensored questions which were adequately answered. It was also transmitted live by various broadcast networks in Nigeria.

In addition, the busy and hectic official and campaign schedules of Mr. President clashed with this programme. Today, Mr. President commissioned the Baro Inland Water Port in Niger State and campaigned in Niger and Plateau States where his time was over-stretched by the tumultuous and mammoth crowds in both States, (as seen by Nigerians on live television) and only returned to Abuja late this evening.

Whilst we thank the organisers for the invitation, we want to assure Nigerians that we shall continue to hold these debate groups and Nigerians in high esteem which our candidate has demonstrated during past election debates when he honoured similar invitations. Nigerians will also recall that a few weeks ago, our Vice-Presidential candidate, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, also attended the debate organized by the same organisations.

Lastly, we note the statement of the candidate of the PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar who actually came for the event and left the venue when he did not see Mr. President, who is our candidate. According to him, he would not want to “attack” Mr. President in his absence.

It should now be obvious to Nigerians that for Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and the PDP, this election is all about attacking the person and programmes of Mr. President and not about proffering their own solutions to the problems they created during their sixteen years of misrule, maladministration and looting of the nation’s resources. When they cannot see President Buhari to attack, the content of their campaign becomes hollow, empty and “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing”. Now that Atiku Abubakar had a unique opportunity to explain to Nigerians his own vision and mission without a President Buhari in the picture, he ran away. Afterall, he has his own eight years of crass and grand corruption as Vice President to defend before the Nigerian people.

On February 16, 2019 we urge Nigerians to demonstrate to Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and the PDP, through their votes, how empty indeed their campaign has always been and to vote massively for President Muhammadu Buhari and Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN who have started the rebuilding process of our great nation.

Thank you.

FESTUS KEYAMO,SAN, FCIArb (UK)
Director, Strategic Communications,
APC Presidential Campaign Council.
(Official Spokesperson).

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Cover

*#We came here for a Presidential debate, not a candidacy debate* – Atiku

Published

on


…I regret that I will not be able to go on with this debate due to President Buhari’s absence.

*We came here for a Presidential debate, not a candidacy debate , and I, Atiku Abubakar can not challenge or question an administration where the man at the helm of the affairs of the nation is not present to defend himself or his policies. After all you cannot shave a man’s head in his absence.*

I do not believe in attacking a man who is NOT here to defend himself. As a leader and former vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, let me first apologise to all Nigerians, my fellow candidates and the moderator for the the APC Presidential Candidates absence in this debate. His non-appearance is a slight on ALL of us and our democracy.

*Secondly, with all due respect to my fellow candidates, Fela Durotoye, Oby Ezekwesili, Kingsley Moghalu and to the moderator Mark Sugar and with apologies to all Nigerians here and at home expecting an interesting debate, I regret that I will not be able to go on with this debate due to President Buhari’s absence.*

I however challenge President Buhari to choose a date and time for a debate where he will be present and I will be there, hopefully with the other candidates as well.

Thank you and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

– Atiku Abubakar

*#ComeOutAndVote*

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Ad

Latest News

Gov. Nyesom Ezenwo Wike Gov. Nyesom Ezenwo Wike
Politics3 hours ago

Mega Church Endorses Governor Wike for A Second Term

The General Overseer of Omega Power Ministries (OPM), Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere has declared that Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike...

News3 hours ago

Troops inflict devastating casualty on Boko Haram terrorists in fresh Baga encounter

Combined Special Forces troops of the Nigerian Army, Navy and the Air Force operating under the auspices of Operation LAfiYA...

News3 hours ago

Boko Haram: Nigerian Army seeks strategic military partnership

…As COAS visits Republic of Korea As part of the efforts to further enhance the professional efficiency and capabilities of...

Politics4 hours ago

2019 presidency:Akpabio reveals first state Buhari will win, says election will end within 3 hours

A former Senate Minority Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has declared that President Muhammadu Buhari will win the presidential election within...

Obasanjo Obasanjo
Cover5 hours ago

Buhari behaving like Abacha, planning to rig elections – Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday attacked President Muhammadu Buhari, accusing him of plotting to rig the general elections. Mr...

Opinion5 hours ago

Atiku’s withdrawal from the debate is a tactical masterstroke

By Farooq Kperogi I’ve read commentaries that aver that Atiku’s decision to bail out of Saturday’s presidential debate in protest...

Justice Walter Onnoghen Justice Walter Onnoghen
News8 hours ago

Onnoghen: Nabena cautions South-south leaders, governors, others over threats

The threats and comments by some South-south leaders, Niger Delta agitators and South-south governors of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)...

Timi Frank Timi Frank
News8 hours ago

Frank Warns Buhari, APC Against Plot to arrest Atiku

A former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Timi Frank, has warned President Muhammadu Buhari...

Photo News8 hours ago

Photo Speak: COAS Lt Gen TY Buratai’s visit to Republic of Korea

Facebook Comments

News9 hours ago

Troops neutralise two Boko Haram terrorists in clearance operation, Rescue two women

Troops of 112 Task Force Battalion conducting clearance operation in the general area of Zaza, Kajeri Maye, and Kajeri Mai...

Itse Sagay Itse Sagay
News9 hours ago

Buhari has nothing to gain debating people who have no hope – Itse Sagay

Itse Sagay, chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), says President Muhammadu Buhari has nothing to gain with...

News9 hours ago

Operation Diran Mikiya: NAF deploys air assets, Special Forces personnel to Sokoto

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) today, 19 January 2019, deployed a fighter aircraft, along with support equipment, and a detachment...

Senator Godswill Akpabio Senator Godswill Akpabio
Politics10 hours ago

2019: Global Peace Movement International endorses Akpabio for Senate

By Augustine Aminu Ahead of the 2019 general elections, an international based None Governmental Organization, Global Peace Movement International (GPMI),...

Gov. Lalong Gov. Lalong
Opinion14 hours ago

Lalong as God’s plan for Plateau

By Victor Pam As the campaigns continue to heat the polity, we must be careful about the choices we make...

President Muhammadu Buhari President Muhammadu Buhari
Opinion14 hours ago

PMB as God’s will for Nigeria

By Sunday Garuba The elections are around the corner, and again, the hysteria that usually greets such exercises has rented...

Follow Us On Twitter

Metro Daily Nigeria
@MetroDailyNG

  • Mega Church Endorses Governor Wike for A Second Term https://t.co/B9MFnIVQMn https://t.co/X2SYRp8nVM
    about 2 hours ago
  • New post: Mega Church Endorses Governor Wike for A Second Term https://t.co/qqBnOQ6q5a
    about 3 hours ago
  • Troops inflict devastating casualty on Boko Haram terrorists in fresh Baga encounter https://t.co/IIhaJYzuNu https://t.co/WsUIg2Sv2g
    about 3 hours ago

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending

You're currently offline

var infolinks_pid = 3151764; var infolinks_wsid = 0;
%d bloggers like this: