Connect with us

Politics

Donald Trump Sacks Campaign Manager

Published

on

Donald Trump shook his presidential campaign ton Monday with the sudden dismissal of his controversial campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski.

“The Donald J. Trump Campaign for President, which has set a historic record in the Republican Primary having received almost 14 million votes, has today announced that Corey Lewandowski will no longer be working with the campaign,” Trump spokeswoman, Hope Hicks, said in a statement Monday. “The campaign is grateful to Corey for his hard work and dedication and we wish him the best in the future.”

Lewandowki’s abrupt departure is the campaign’s most significant staff change to date, and signals an acknowledgment from Trump and his inner circle that big change is necessary ahead of the general election. Trump has suffered major setbacks since becoming his party’s presumptive nominee last month. He has come under intense criticism from party leaders, major donors and rank-and-file Republicans for an array of issues, including his response to last weekend’s terrorist attack in Orlando that killed 49 people.
The news of Lewandowski’s departure was first reported by The New York Times. Lewandowski could not be reached for comment by phone. Trump’s inability — and apparent lack of interest — in toning down his rhetoric going into the general election season has deeply troubled the party. There is widespread concern that without a dramatic course change, Trump will continue to be significantly outmatched by presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton on many fronts, including organization, communications and fundraising.
The Lewandowski news comes amid deep internal tensions that have roiled the Trump campaign — sometimes even played out in public. Lewandowski was well known for being fiercely loyal to his boss — he is even a Trump delegate from New Hampshire — and also deeply protective of his direct access to the candidate. This dynamic created a series of problems as the Trump campaign began to hire staffers and expand its operations, including when Trump enlisted veteran GOP strategist Paul Manafort earlier this year. It was also viewed as a huge source of distraction at a time when Trump needed to devote all of his campaign’s resources to preparing for November.
The decision to fire Lewandowski was made swiftly in a Monday morning weekly meeting with Trump’s family members. A combination of falling poll numbers and pressure from many in Trump’s inner circle ultimately led to the decision, a Trump adviser said. A separate GOP source said
Lewandowski’s firing was so sudden that he was on a call with Republican National Committee staffers Monday morning, just hours before his firing.
The ouster comes after a series of firestorms — from Trump’s attacks on Judge Gonzalo Curiel’s Mexican heritage to the suggestion that President Barack Obama perhaps played a role int he Orlando massacre.
Lewandowski encouraged this behavior, rather than prodding the candidate back on message, the adviser said. And members of the Trump family, his friends, as well as Manafort, had been upping their efforts to convince Trump that Lewandowski’s guidance had grown harmful to the candidate and the campaign.
Some advisers hope the latest move will allow the campaign to ramp up more quickly by building out a communications team, a rapid response effort and by ramping up their political machine in battleground states, an adviser said. “This has not been a campaign, it’s been a concert tour,” the adviser said, adding this could be the turning point for the campaign to get more serious.
A second adviser added a note of caution though, saying if Trump isn’t willing to behave in a more disciplined fashion, then Lewandowski’s departure may do little good. “I don’t know if it helps Trump personally unless he is willing to completely change through the Manafort model,” the adviser added.
This marks the latest fallout in the power struggle between Lewandowski and Manafort — ultimately seen as a major victory for Manafort that could allow him to run the campaign in a more traditional sense. Some sources within the campaign are expecting Manafort and his deputy, Rick Gates, to fill the power void that Lewandowski leaves behind.
The Trump campaign has started hiring what one source called “middle level staffers with political experience” in key battle ground states across the country, scheduled to start after the July convention. Despite the Trump campaign’s efforts to create a more well-oiled machine, they are still not operating at full capacity due to internal feuding.
“No one is really sure who is running things. It’s very disorganized,” said one GOP source working with the campaign. Most of the new hires have not begun their actual jobs yet, but are still in the process of filling out the enormous amount of paperwork — including disclosures and noncompetes that come with being employed by Trump, said one source.
There are particular frustrations that the campaign has yet to hire a traditional communications team that can handle the high volume of media requests that comes with being a nominee for president, according to two sources in and around the campaign. Currently, the team consists of only Hope Hicks, Trump’s spokeswoman.
“No one is managing the message,” one source close to the campaign told CNN. Last month, the campaign hired long-time consultant and operative Jim Murphy as political director, replacing Rick Wiley after clashes with Lewandowski and other original Trump hires led to Wiley’s abrupt departure from the campaign.
One of the top priorities with Murphy is in place was building out the campaign’s communications team, this person told CNN.
In what was widely viewed as an incredible demonstration of the deep animosity towards Lewandowski from some factions of the campaign, one Trump adviser, Michael Caputo, tweeted this on Monday minutes after the news broke about Lewandowski: “Ding dong the witch is dead!”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

NGO Advocates for Good Governace In Nigeria

Published

on

Olisa Uzoewulu

Olisa Uzoewulu

By Augustine Aminu

A Non-Governmental Organisation Awakening The Sleeping Giant Leadership Initiative, has canvassed for good governance in Nigeria even as electioneering campaigns towards 2019 general elections is gathering momentum.

President of the group, Olisa Uzoewulu (Wulus), who made this call in Abuja, said the group will throw its weight behind any candidate (s), who would convince Nigerians beyond reasonable doubt of his commitment to bring out the country out of woods.

He said ASGLI has been on ground reseaching on modalities for good and accountable government, adding that the group only supports individual or candidate that has intention for good governance.

Uzoewulu said ” The various competition to the leadership lacked democratic process. The lies, the secrecy of governance are very discouraging and the ability of every Nigerian to describe the Nigeria problems eloquently and become a historical expert is enomous”.

” We tried to understand the capacity endowment of our great nation now described as the poverty capital of the world and ranked at the lowest level in all social, political, economic competition in Africa and the world”.

Uzoewulu noted that it is worrisome that with all the human and natural endowment of Nigeria, yet poor leadership quality has draged the nation backward.

” It is unacceptable and we must accept failure of our leaders. We need to do better, we must have the hangover of continuous and persistent non productive leadership pool which drastically is pulling the nation backward”.

” It is not disrespectful to accept failure or pretend to claim the goodness of lack of performance. Such a position does not produce cure to sickness and kills idea pool. We bare tied of the concept of here we are again- a cycle of repeating promises and failures” he added.

Continue Reading

Politics

2019 Elections: Only competent hands must be elected – Aledare

Published

on

Mr Akinwale Samuel Aledare

Mr Akinwale Samuel Aledare

A former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), House of Assembly aspirant, Mr Akinwale Samuel Aledare, has said that only competent hands would be elected in the 2019 General Elections.

Speaking with newsmen in Abuja on Monday, Aledare said that Nigerians had become aware of the importance of voting in competent people to occupy positions in the country.

The former aspirants stressed that having monitored the primary election and its processes, the PDP conducted better primary election and fielded the most competent candidates.

To this end, the young politician said that he would be backing all the candidates of the PDP to ensure that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) was defeated.

He urged Nigerians to be very careful in choosing their leaders and to ensure that that they were not swayed by sentiments or unfounded allegations but they should rather focus on issues and solutions.

“As a loyal party man, I stand by the choice of the party. I will support His Excellency, Atiku Abubakar for president, Senator Dino Melaye for senate Kogi West, Hon Teejay Yusuf for House of Representatives Kabba-Bunu/Ijumu Federal Constituency and Hon Alfred Bello for Kogi House of Assembly Kabba/Bunu,” he said.

He said that the youths of Kabba/Bunu had made the party proud stressing that they would continue to be loyal to the party and ensure that the PDP votes were protected from “hawks”.

“We in Kabba/Bunu local government of Kogi state have made PDP proud in previous elections and we shall continue to perform even beyond the expectation of the party.

“We have a great decision before us in few months’ time and we must put in our best at ensuring we get it right,” he said.

He also called on the leadership of the party as well as its members and supporters to stay united and work for the victory of all the party’s candidates in the 2019 election.

With specific reference to the Kabba/Bunu/Ijumu federal constituency, Aledare assured that the elections would be duly monitored and right decisions taken.

He reminded the people of the untold hardship they have suffered in the last couple of years due to poor electoral choices and urged them not to repeat such mistakes in 2019.

Continue Reading

Politics

2019: Niger Delta ex-agitators urged to stand with Buhari

Published

on

Militants surrender through Amnesty office

Militants surrender through Amnesty office

Niger Delta ex-agitators under phases one, two and three of Presidential Amnesty Programme have been urged to support the reelection of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2019 to enable him complete the laudable projects he started in the region.

Leader of Coalition of Niger Delta ex-Agitators, Phase II, Comrade Steve Ebisintei, who gave the advice in a statement issued in Abuja, also urged other critical stakeholders in the region to support the president’s reelection bid.

Comrade Ebisintei argued that stakeholders must rally round the reelection project of President Buhari, to enable the region benefit from the numerous programmes and projects of the President.

“President Buhari remains the only president since the return of democracy in 1999 who has initiated projects and programmes that are directly beneficial to the people of the Niger Delta.”

He also called on the people of the area to support Professor Quaker Dokubo, the Amnesty Office boss, whose influence and integrity had attracted major projects for the region.

Ahead of the forthcoming 2019 election,

The ex-agitators’ leader maintained that the only option left for the region was to continue to support the president and Prof Dokubo in their quest to elevate the youths of the region.

According to him, not supporting the reelection of President Buhari will only hurt the region more “as many of the ongoing projects in the area may likely stop.”

Continuing, he said, “Without equivocation, I can tell you that more than ever before, the federal government under President Buhari has paid more attention to our devastated region than any other government at least since 1999.

“Today, modular refineries, which when completed will take over from illegal refiners and create jobs for our teeming youths are ongoing in the region.

“The East West road, which had prior to now remain in the pipelines, has been progressing with appreciable speed and the petroleum university at Okerenkoko in Delta State is progressing in good measure.

“The Amnesty program has been revived and expanded in the interest of the youths of our region; it is the only program that is targeted at the youths and it is evident that Prof Dokubo has integrated more youths into the program than any other Amnesty boss before him.

“Because of the sterling performance of President Buhari’s administration in the area of peace-building, which has resulted in decrease in the spate of militancy in the region, the dark days of avengers and other militant groups in the region are in the past.

“All these achievements can be traced to the Midas touch of Prof. Quaker Dokubo and therefore we as a region must encourage the Amnesty boss by supporting President Buhari.”

He said that no other sentiments should prevail in the region going into the 2019 election except the sentiments of visible performance and what could be seen on ground for the people of the region to benefit.

Ebisintei cautioned politicians from the region to avoid misleading the youths for their own selfish political gains ahead of the 2019 elections.

He promised to work with other like-minded youths of the region to ensure the president’s reelection bid becomes a reality, as a way of repaying him for the good work so far done in the Niger Delta.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Metro Daily Nigeria. Design by Kwaifa Web Solutions, powered by WordPress.