Connect with us

Foreign

116 policemen suspended in Pakistan

Published

on

Pakistan policemen

Pakistan policemen

No fewer than 116 police officials have been suspended from their posts for their alleged involvement in June 2014 Model Town tragedy in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, local media reported.

The suspended policemen included deputy superintendent of police, inspectors and investigation in-charge, said local Urdu TV channel ARY News on Wednesday.

The media added that the removed officials have been directed to report to their respective headquarters for further orders.

Earlier this month, anti-terrorism court in the country’s eastern city Lahore also indicted former Punjab Police Chief, Mushtaq Sukhera, over his role in Model Town tragedy.

The official, however, denied all the allegations levelled against him.

On June 17, 2014, at least 14 people, including two women, were killed when Punjab police allegedly opened fire on protestors of the Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT).

Around 100 workers also got injured in the clashes over removal of barricades outside the PAT secretariat in the Model Town area of Lahore.

Since then, PAT chief Tahir-ul-Qadri has been demanding justice in the case and seeking suspension of all policemen involved in the operation to conduct free and fair investigation in the case.

On Sept. 27, Prime Minister, Imran Khan, had assured the PAT chief that strict action would be taken against those behind the Model Town tragedy.

“The chief minister Punjab needs to ensure that action as per law was taken against all those responsible for the killings.

“They need to be removed from their posts so that impartial legal action may proceed,” said the prime minister.

Facebook Comments

Foreign

UN wants Africa to prepare for effect of climate change

Published

on

UN wants Africa to prepare for effect of climate Change

UN wants Africa to prepare for effect of climate Change


The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has called on international community to evolve measures to prepare the African continent for the ravages of climate change.

Ms Ahunna Eziakonwa, Director of UNDP’s Africa Bureau, who made the call at the 24th Conference of Parties (COP24) climate conference, in Katowice, Poland, said preparing Africa for the reality of climate change “cannot be an afterthought.”

Eziakonwa said: “Taking reactive approaches to food security and disaster recovery costs the people of Africa billions of dollars in lost GDP, and syphons off government resources that should be dedicated to education, social programmes, healthcare, business development and employment”.

According to a new report launched by the UNDP, Africa is at a “tipping point” as global warming increases, and urgent action needs to be taken across the continent now to mitigate risks and safeguard a decade of social and economic gains.

For two weeks, the COP24 has brought together thousands of climate action decision-makers, advocates and activists, with one key objective: adopting global guidelines for the 197 parties of the 2015 Paris Agreement.

At the Paris Agreement, countries committed to limiting global warming to less than 2 degrees centigrade – and as close as possible to 1.5 degrees centigrade – above pre-industrial levels.

Ahunna noted that in spite of major structural inequalities, nations across the continent have achieved “impressive economic, political and social growth in recent decades.”

She, however, argued that “climate change, droughts, floods, changing rainfall patterns and conflict have the potential to unravel efforts to reduce hunger and achieve the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.”

The UNDP study shows that, should the world fail to limit global warming to less than 2 degrees centigrade, families will find it hard to feed themselves, and the risk of famine and increased poverty will rise along with temperatures.

Higher levels of poverty would further limit the capacity of communities to manage climate-related risks, according to the report.

The report warned that failure to mitigate climate-related risks could translate into more risky migration patterns, serious epidemics such as the 2014 Ebola outbreak across West Africa, and greater political instability.

Drawing on years of data from projects geared to enabling communities to adapt to a changing climate and build resilience, the report shows that as emissions continue going up, support for climate adaptation initiatives must be increased urgently and accelerated across the continent, especially across the 34 African least developed countries.

However, measures to enable communities to adapt to the changing climate is a costly matter that would require creative financial mechanisms and substantial engagement with the private sector to meet.

It would also require developed nations to make good on their 2015 Paris Agreement commitments to dedicate $100 billion annually to supporting climate action in developing nations.

The report analyses a number of noteworthy successes in climate change adaptation in Africa over the past decade, including projects aimed at improving food security in Benin, Mali, Niger and Sudan.

It also analysed supporting governments in having improved climate information and early warning systems to save lives from fast-acting storms; and empowering women to be effective climate action champions.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Foreign

Ukraine demands release of seized ships, crew from Russia

Published

on

Ukrainian Ambassador to Nigeria Dr Valerii Aleksandruk

Ukrainian Ambassador to Nigeria Dr Valerii Aleksandruk

The Ukrainian authority has protested Russian’s armed attack and capturing of its navy ships “Berdyansk” Nikopol and the tug boat `Yana Kapu’ as well as injuring of the crew members.

Ukrainian Ambassador to Nigeria Dr Valerii Aleksandruk who said this in a statement in Abuja said the country demanded for immediate release of the seized vessels and crew members.

Aleksandruk said Russian forces opened fire on a group of Ukraine ships in the Black Sea off the coast of the Crimean Peninsula late on Nov. 25th.

The envoy said the country also protested striking of two warships and wounding of two crew members before seizing the vessels along with a Ukrainian Navy tugboat.

He said that the attack on Ukrainian ships was carried out during a sea crossing from the port of Odessa to the port of Mariupol.

“The attack, in accordance with the provisions of all effective multilateral and bilateral international treaties and navigation rules, is nothing but another act of armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine

“It is against Article 2 of the Charter of the United Nations and the provisions of UN General Assembly Resolution 29/3314 of 14 December 1974 on the definition of aggression.

“Russia has de facto expanded its military aggression against Ukraine to the sea.

“Kremlin’s criminal regime has today once again demonstrated that it won’t stop its aggressive policy and is ready for any acts of aggression against the Ukrainian state,” he said.

According to him, Ukraine also requested for urgent medical assistance to the wounded and to ensure their immediate safe return home.

“Ukraine also demands to return the captured navy ships and to compensate for the damage caused.

“It is Kremlin’s regime who bears full responsibility for further aggravation of the situation in the Azov and Black Seas and for undermining the peaceful settlement of the Russian-Ukrainian armed conflict.

“Ukraine urges its allies and partners to take all necessary measures to deter the aggressor, by applying new and strengthening existing sanctions

“Ukraine also urges its allies to provide military assistance to protect its territorial integrity and sovereignty within the internationally recognised borders,” he said

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Foreign

CNN sues White House for barring reporter

Published

on


CNN sued Donald Trump’s administration on Tuesday, alleging the White House violated journalist Jim Acosta’s rights under the constitution by revoking his press credentials following a heated exchange with the US president.

“The wrongful revocation of these credentials violates CNN and Acosta’s First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process,” the news network said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. “We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Ad

Latest News

Senator Godswill Akpabio Senator Godswill Akpabio
Politics1 min ago

2019: Global Peace Movement International endorses Akpabio for Senate

By Augustine Aminu Ahead of the 2019 general elections, an international based None Governmental Organization, Global Peace Movement International (GPMI),...

Gov. Lalong Gov. Lalong
Opinion4 hours ago

Lalong as God’s plan for Plateau

By Victor Pam As the campaigns continue to heat the polity, we must be careful about the choices we make...

President Muhammadu Buhari President Muhammadu Buhari
Opinion5 hours ago

PMB as God’s will for Nigeria

By Sunday Garuba The elections are around the corner, and again, the hysteria that usually greets such exercises has rented...

YPP YPP
Politics13 hours ago

Onnoghen’s trial: YPP slams Buhari govt over ‘hypocrisy’ on CJN’s case

Young Progressives Party, YPP, has described call by the Federal Government for the resignation of Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN,...

President Muhammadu Buhari President Muhammadu Buhari
Cover13 hours ago

Why PMB did not attend the Presidential debate – FESTUS KEYAMO

WHY PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI DID NOT ATTEND THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ORGANISED BY THE NIGERIA ELECTION DEBATE GROUP AND THE BROADCASTING...

Crime13 hours ago

Four dead, eight injured in Bauchi auto crash

The Federal Road Safety Corps has confirmed that about four people died while eight others were seriously injured in a...

Atiku and Buhari Atiku and Buhari
News14 hours ago

2019 presidential debate: Ezekwesili, Moghalu, Durotoye speak on Atiku, Buhari’s absence

The five candidates present at the presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG) and the Broadcasting Organisations...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
News14 hours ago

PDP speaks as Atiku boycotts presidential debate, says ex-VP ready to face Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Saturday declared that its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar was ready to face President Muhammadu...

Cover14 hours ago

*#We came here for a Presidential debate, not a candidacy debate* – Atiku

…I regret that I will not be able to go on with this debate due to President Buhari’s absence. *We...

jimoh ibrahim jimoh ibrahim
Crime14 hours ago

BREAKING: Fire kills Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother

The mother of billionaire businessman, Omofemiwa Ibrahim is dead. The septuagenarian died in a fire accident at her Victoria Garden...

News17 hours ago

Rivers guber: Peterside reacts as INEC delists APC candidates, speaks on Amaechi causing crisis

The Director General of Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, has expressed the optimism that the...

Imohimi Edgal Imohimi Edgal
News17 hours ago

Police, Army, others in show of force in Lagos

In preparation for the forthcoming general elections, the police, army and other security agencies on Saturday patrolled major highways in...

Health18 hours ago

FCT doctors hail Minister for paying arrears, seek reviews

The Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), Federal Capital Territory (FCT) chapter, have commended the Minister of FCT, Mohammed Bello, for...

News18 hours ago

Burkina Faso prime minister, cabinet resign

Burkina Faso’s government and Prime Minister Paul Kaba Thieba have resigned, President Roch Marc Christian Kabore said. In a post...

Wolves’ Diogo Jota breaks the heart of Leicester in thriller at Molineux Stadium Wolves’ Diogo Jota breaks the heart of Leicester in thriller at Molineux Stadium
Sport18 hours ago

Wolves see off Leicester in Seven Goal Thriller

Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Diogo Jota had the last word in the pulsating seven goal thriller against Leicester City at Molineux Stadium...

Follow Us On Twitter

Metro Daily Nigeria
@MetroDailyNG

  • Lalong as God’s plan for Plateau https://t.co/a5aQujEKXo https://t.co/kD0abQvV37
    about 4 hours ago
  • PMB as God’s will for Nigeria https://t.co/bKACe7F4gc https://t.co/YNuEIIwffQ
    about 4 hours ago
  • New post: Lalong as God’s plan for Plateau https://t.co/mtxGXfj6hD
    about 4 hours ago

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending

You're currently offline

var infolinks_pid = 3151764; var infolinks_wsid = 0;
%d bloggers like this: